View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #23
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I'll occasionally downshift through the gears to first as I'm coasting to a stop sign/light with the clutch in, but I never, never let the clutch out until the bike is at a complete stop and I'm in neutral after checking my mirrors to see if that cager behind me is going to make that stop or not.

I also never, never skip gears while upshifting.... what's the point?

Learn to listen to your engine... after awhile it will tell you through sound and feel if you need to up or downshift or if you're in the right gear.
+1

I do exactly the same thing... one gear at a time and let the clutch out nice and easy while lightly applying the brakes. Once I am below 10 MPH I just hold the clutch in and just give it a little more brake until I am completely stopped. I always leave it in 1st gear unless it's a long light and the car behind me has already seen me and stopped. I also like to move to one side of the lane or the other when I stop to give myself a spot to move to in case the guy behind me doesn't see me.