View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #33
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja11 View Post
I know you guys said shifting down multiple gears is okay, but how about shifting up? I think it would be okay as well, but the scenario I am visualizing is: when I forget or lose track what gear I am in (lets say I am in 4th and I am slowing for a turn and want to be in 3rd), I will down shift to 1st, to find out where I am, then shift up to be in 3rd, is that okay? shifting multiple gears going down, then going up?

I think by now you've probably gathered quite a bit of knowledge from all the posts here, but I'd like to echo a couple of things.

Being in your shoes just last summer, this was my biggest fear: that I would forget which gear I was in!! The only way I got better: PRACTICE! I ride atleast 3 times a week, and every once in a while I'll zip up and down the street to practice u-turns, figure 8's, take offs on slopes, clutch control, etc, etc. The only way you'll get a truly good feel for your motorcycle is if you practice with it as often as possible.

I know it might be hard, but one day that you want to go out for a joyride, just try to make yourself stick around the house and hone your skills on what you practiced in the MSF course.

Just my Ride safe and listen to a lot of the veterans, they've got extremely valuable advice (... well, most of them anyway ...)