View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2014, 09:24 AM   #50
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginganinja View Post
Okay so i didn't get to work on the bike at all this weekend, I wasn't feeling that great and then had to go do family stuff with the gf. But this upcoming weekend is all mine!!!

So the new head i got is in great shape but it is taken apart and I don't have a spring compressor for the valves. I'm not complaining about this at all because the member I got it from was very generous and I'm very thankful!!!

I don't mind buying one but after looking at a couple, i realized I have no idea what size the springs are and what size spring compressor I need? Any advice on this? Or type of spring compressor to use?

I was leaning towards a kit similar to this one but cheaper:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-5...ht_4779wt_1126

Thing I used was an old socket that i cut open on one side so i can put the retainers on. Pretty much like the item you pictured above. The valve springs are not that strong. I just used one hand to compress and the other to put the retainers on. If you got a socket that can fit over the top of the spring top and dont like it, cut it open on one or two sides and yay got a way to compress the valve and install

You can just get any valve compressor tool, most will work. Just make sure you put the head on something soft so when you compress the valve it doesnt hit anything hard to bend it.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.