View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2014, 12:55 AM   #67
Ginganinja
pregens for the win!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja 250, 07 yamaha r6

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
You need to clean everything so you can properly inspect the parts. There could be cracks and junk that you might need to deal with.

I don't think its required to remove the clutch basket nut to change the timing chain. You might have to lift it out of there a little bit to get the chain in, but I think it would be possible to leave it on.
Ok that makes alot of sense about inspecting the parts, I usually clean as much as possible, more so because i don't like handling dirty and oily parts, but is cleaning it with "purple" necessary, or is that just a preferred cleaner/degreaser? Like could I use something else?

I have all day to work on it tomorrow so i'm hoping to get the old parts out, the new ones, in and start putting it back together. My manual was supposed to come in the mail today but it didn't get delivered .....so that postpones everything even longer now since i don't know torque values for most bolts and i won't get the mail delivered til 3-4pm. i'll do what i can til then

As for the clutch basket nut, i really hope you're right and i don't have to take it off. that would save me alot of trouble and time. i'll just pop open the case lift it up take the old chain out, new chain in, reassemble and we're back in business.

I know i'm asking alot of questions, but here's another one.....

Is it easier to open the case from the bottom or top, or which is the best way to prevent alot of things from shifting? right now i have the engine upside down straddling some wood blocks, but i was looking at the parts diagram and it seems the crank, and transmission rest in the bottom of the case so it would be easier to lift off the top....is that correct?
Ginganinja is offline   Reply With Quote