View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2014, 05:09 AM   #68
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginganinja View Post
Ok that makes alot of sense about inspecting the parts, I usually clean as much as possible, more so because i don't like handling dirty and oily parts, but is cleaning it with "purple" necessary, or is that just a preferred cleaner/degreaser? Like could I use something else?

I have all day to work on it tomorrow so i'm hoping to get the old parts out, the new ones, in and start putting it back together. My manual was supposed to come in the mail today but it didn't get delivered .....so that postpones everything even longer now since i don't know torque values for most bolts and i won't get the mail delivered til 3-4pm. i'll do what i can til then

As for the clutch basket nut, i really hope you're right and i don't have to take it off. that would save me alot of trouble and time. i'll just pop open the case lift it up take the old chain out, new chain in, reassemble and we're back in business.

I know i'm asking alot of questions, but here's another one.....

Is it easier to open the case from the bottom or top, or which is the best way to prevent alot of things from shifting? right now i have the engine upside down straddling some wood blocks, but i was looking at the parts diagram and it seems the crank, and transmission rest in the bottom of the case so it would be easier to lift off the top....is that correct?

You can use any kind of degreaser. Purple is kind of a generic name. I have used Easy Off oven cleaner for stubborn parts. Just don't use any kind of steel brush or knife or screwdriver or steel wool, etc.. You should also be aware that too much purple will remove the paint from the engine as well if it gets on it.

Didn't I already post the torque values here?

Open the engine by lifting the bottom off (engine upside down). Break the seal by prying off with a large screwdriver or pry bar. If it doesn't pry loose easy, there is still a bolt holding it. Look for the pry point which is near a flat spot with '#' (crosshatch) markings.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.