View Single Post
Old April 2nd, 2014, 02:24 AM   #71
Ginganinja
pregens for the win!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja 250, 07 yamaha r6

Ok, a little update on how far i got today. i started later than I thought I was going too, so i didn't accomplish as much as i would have hoped.

I opened the crankcase, and just as i had suspected I was able to change the chain by lifting up the clutch basket and all the gears attached to it, and slightly lifting the crank to take the old one out and put the new one in.

My luck however didn't last long as when i lifted up the clutch basket and all the gears attached to it, things began to misalign, so after an hour of headache and intense service maunal reading, i finally figured out that the races have an oil pin hole that must be seated, and that if you don't seat it the case won't align. As well as that the transmission will promptly shift out of neutral when messing with transmission gears, and that there are holders for the gears that are a pain to get on, when you don't have the luxury of the case being able to come completely off because of the clutch basket.

In the end taking the clutch basket off will save you a bit of time and a headache, but if you don't wanna buy the tool, it is possible to change the chain!!

Anyways I got the chain in, the crankcase cleaned, lubed in the right spots, sealed with hondabond, flywheel on, clutch on, clutch and stator covers with new gaskets on, starter bolted back on. still deciding if i should just get new rings for peace of mind and hone the cylinders, since its already apart. Its $82 for a new set of rings, and i can get them by friday, but it means i'm at a stopping point til then. I'm gonna add up all my costs so far, including tools i bought for this project and see what my budget has been and hopefully i still have room to get the rings. i'm trying to keep it under $300.
Ginganinja is offline   Reply With Quote