View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2015, 02:07 AM   #12
Linkin
Down Under

Name: Linkin

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ZXR250C Ninja

Some more progress today.

Fuel pump arrived this week so got that installed, yet to test it.

Drilled out the pesky bolt stopping me from removing the radiator and got to work on the engine. I checked the valve clearances, and for once, they're all within spec. This fits with the story the previous owner gave me (bike sat after it was imported, and was rebuilt in 2010). Gave the rocker cover a soak in threebond and replaced the rocker cover gasket. As usual, the old ones turn to complete ratshit, but people reuse them & cover them in silicon gasket grap.

The old plugs. Serviceable, but the wrong heat range. Standard ones are NGK CR8E. The CR7E's were all replaced with CR8EIX - the iridium ones - just to see how the bike will go once back together. If worthwhile I'll change the ones in the blue bike as well. CR7E is one heat range too low, and will make bad things happen

Footpeg bling! Actually, in typical Japanese fashion, the originals are completely over-engineered. How do you over-engineer a footpeg rubber bit? By putting a steel plate and steel washers into them...

I replaced the rear brake pads, the old ones had completely had it & ruined the rear disc (replaced)

And snapped off the last remaining bleed nipple on the rear caliper...

So, how do you bleed your rear brakes when both bleed nipples are snapped off? Well, I had to remove the rear caliper, push the pistons in, getting brake fluid everywhere, put the new pads in & remount the caliper.

Then I drained the old brake fluid out (goodness knows if it was ever replaced before today) and filled the reservoir with new stuff. Now comes the fun part!

I Had to push the rear brake lever down, slightly undo the brake line to the caliper, forcing the air and fluid out, nip it up & then release the brake lever, which sucks more fluid into the system from the reservoir. Did this a few times and topped up the reservoir. Repeat until only fluid comes out of the line when you undo it, and the lever actually engages the rear brake.

I don't even want to think about the front brakes at the moment. It was hard enough just replacing the pads on the other bike.

Since my helper got the sprocket hub bearing and seal in, I refitted the new rear sprocket and mounted the rear wheel, greased the axle and spacers. While the brake caliper was off, you could spin the wheel by hand and it would keep spinning for a minute or two at least. I love new bearings!

Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote