View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:31 AM   #16
Electronic M
ninjette.org member

Name: Dima

Motorcycle(s): zx10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
I have an ’03 Ninja 250 that I get 59 mpg just riding around (stop & go, freeway, combined regular riding). If I ride it 5000 miles per year, that’s just under 85 gallons of gas per year. At $3 per gallon, it’ll cost me $254 per year.

If I do stuff to the bike (and/or my riding technique) and manage to average 70 mpg, riding 5000 miles per year, will consume 71.4 gallons of gas per year. At $3 per gallon, it’ll cost me $214 per year.

I gotta ask: is it worth fiddling around, buying parts, and very likely adversely affecting the rideability of the bike to save $40 per year?

Disclaimer: The guy I bought my bike from had slightly taller sprocketing on the Ninjette when I bought it. I was happy with what he selected and when I replaced the sprockets and chain, I kept his sprocket sizes. Also, when I ride all freeway, I actually get 69 mpg.
Is it worth fiddling around, buying parts and adversely affecting the rideability of the bike to make it go .1 of a second quicker on a road course/drag strip while not saving anything at all? For some people it is all worth it. It's kind a the same concept, except in the opposite direction lol.
Electronic M is offline   Reply With Quote