View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2019, 03:03 PM   #28
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
The logic of getting cheap, entry-level gear is understandable, but asking if cheap gear is good enough is the wrong question.

The real question you must ask yourself is this:

Do you think you'll be track riding on a regular basis? Accept that it is more addictive than any drug. Or, do you think you'll be doing much recreational riding where a suit would not be an inconvenience?

If the answer to either or both is "yes" then consider this:

You're going to wind up with better gear anyway. So what's more expensive... to buy cheap gear now, knowing that you'll wind up replacing it before long, or to buy good gear in the first place and be done with it? The same goes for tools.

A friend of mine, now sadly no longer with us, was never able to get past the attractiveness of a low purchase price. He wound spending a lot more money than he would have otherwise because he never could bring himself to buy quality to begin with. He'd either buy something crappy and have to upgrade it, or buy something that would break and need replacement before its time.

If you're really truly not sure that this will be more than a "one and done" experience, however, then saving money might be just what the doctor ordered.

Getting past the unknowns is the tricky part. It may take more than one shot to find what's just right for you. But once you're there and are confident in what the future holds, there is no really good reason to skimp.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote