Thread: first ride :)
View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2018, 08:23 PM   #105
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
i am in a super ****** location when it comes to learning to ride, I figured that out before I started lol. that suv was the only car i saw on my street while i was out this morning. I keep my eye and ears open, I start out on the side of the road, not in the middle of it. while the suv was a fluke, that i didn't notice due to having just stalled her, I'm going to have to be around cars eventually. there will always be a risk no matter how good i get. this morning made it painfully obvious that my lack of practice in the last few weeks led to a loss in muscle memory in regards to clutch and throttle. i need to practice more, not less. i do know that it is only safe to do so on one early morning of the week (sunday), and that is the only time I take her out.
Right, I got that. That's my point.

Yes - you will be around cars eventually, but you need to be prepared. That means you know how to operate the cycle without thinking - especially under stress. You need to be able to react quickly and correctly to unexpected events.

It's not muscle memory - it's proper techniques and training - then practice. There are some basic things that you are not doing correctly at this point that are bringing you too close to dangerous situations.

I'm trying to help you stay safe and learn correctly, but I don't think you aren't interested in my opinion - so I'll quit.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.