View Single Post
Old December 13th, 2021, 11:37 AM   #260
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I've only used a tank coating stuff 2 times so far and had well over 75 bikes in my time... most of them had good clean tanks but about 50% of them had rusty tanks.... Rust isn't the worry really... it's the pin holes rust causes.
once the metal gets so thin that you get pin holes you're better off throwing away the gas tank and getting another one !...
I have successfully patched a leaky tank with bondo before .... and again with JB weld the triumph tiger cub my brother in law had had a cracked tank between the rear bolt studs it was a hard one to fix but we finally accomplished it and rode it for decades ....t'was a fun bike !
I coated the tank in my Ninja with KREEM a $54.00 tank coating system
and it SEEMS to have coated it very well.... only time will tell though
I have heard horror stories of tank coatings flaking off and causing all kinds of problems putting paint flakes into the carbs....
that KREEM came with the bike the previous owner just never put it in
and she swore by it... has used it on every bike she's owned and never had a problem with it !
....in my experience if there's a little rust in the tank it will just get worse over time.... meaning it will spread like a cancer, but if you keep the gas tank full the chances of that are very small, But leave it empty over the winter and it will be completely covering the inside by spring ! been there done that !!!

.... so something must be done.... to stop the rust....

Bob.....