adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
I was looking at those tyres. How do the soft compound compare to DOT-R tyres? Stickier? Need warmers?
A few words on warmers for anyone who doesn't actually race (including track day people):

No tire, including full-on race rubber, REQUIRES warmers. What race tires require is heat, which can be built up by not pushing to the limit for a lap or two. Naturally if you're racing, you need to go to the limit right away, hence warmers. But that's the only scenario where they're truly necessary.

At my trackday organization, none of the instructors or control riders use warmers, and they all use race rubber. They're too busy during the day with classroom and such to mess with warmers. So sure, warmers are nice to have, but they are not REQUIRED at all.

The rubber compound used in street tires is different from that used in race tires. It is formulated to warm up very quickly on its own, without the use of warmers. The trade-off is ultimate grip compared to race tires.

Some companies make what look like the same tire but with the two different compounds. Pirelli Supercorsa SP (street) vs. Supercorsa SC (race "DOT") is a perfect example. They look alike, but the SC is basically just a slick with grooves in it, for race series that require a DOT tire. It's really not good for the street, where you can't work the tire hard enough, long enough, to keep the heat in it.

I run slicks on my track bike. I use warmers. Do I need them? Absolutely not. I'm not fast enough to require them, plus see the note above about the fact that the fast guys don't use them.

So why? The expense, plus hassling with a generator, etc.

One word: Confidence. Cold-tire crashes do happen all the time. So much of riding on the track comes down to confidence in yourself and your bike. It's just one less thing to think about when I send it into the first turn.

Having said that, if I were running street tires? No warmers. Absolutely not needed.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote