View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:20 AM   #67
ttd
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): CBR600rr

As for the question on bike choices, that's always a tough one.

We generally say you should not be afraid of bringing a bike because you are afraid of crashing it.

It's our belief you are just as likely to crash your bike on the street - and maybe more so.

When it's your first few trackdays, you should treat the track as a really nice road, with no cars, no sand, no cops... no surprises.

Keep yourself in check and you'll be fine. Ride over your head and just like on the street - you can find yourself in trouble.

I've been running/riding at trackdays since 1997 and haven't had a crash yet - so I know it's possible. My "tricks" are simple:

1 - I slowly add speed each session, based on the current conditions.

2 - I don't try to start each session going as fast as I was at the end of the last session... in other words, I progress during the session as my tires warm up and I start "feeling it".

3 - I "listen" to my bike. It's rare for things to go from perfectly fine to crashing. Usually there are some wiggles and shakes or going off line first. When you have those moments where things aren't going perfectly smooth, then bring the speed down a notch and figure out why! Many new riders just keep pushing it as though adding more speed - or even doing the same speed - is somehow going to fix the problem.

Anywho... looking forward to seeing many of you at the CT meet and greet. Hopefully no snow on the track so we can do the trackwalk!
ttd is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.