View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2023, 09:17 AM   #8
Badapplesrepair
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I thought it could have been the same thing. It’s why I first changed the oil and then did a compression test. My original theory was that maybe all that mess caused some of the rings to seize which is why I was getting low compression but since I was getting very low compression on Both I assumed maybe something in the head had broken. After taking it apart and looking at everything doing a visual inspection and speaking with the previous owner I have come to a completely different conclusion, failed head gasket. Sounds unlikely but hear me out, previous owner complained of cooling issues which is why I rebuilt the cooling system. Previous owner also complained of a small leak around the valve cover but had no idea from where it was coming from. Outside the engine on the exhaust side there was a mixture of old caked oil with fresh sticky oil right under the exhaust ports. Inside engine when first taking things apart we can see that the block, the head and the head gasket has caked thick oil deposits suggesting an on going oil leak from head gasket. When inspecting the inner components I can see that on the exhaust side there is heavy amounts of burned oil caked on to everything and what looks like caked half burnt oil coming from under the head gasket which looks like it connects to the oil that was leaking out from the gasket. I have concluded that gas did leak into the oil and since the head gasket was already failing it caused it to dump tons of oil into the cylinders which did not fully ignite and came out the exhaust and out the mufflers. I will be cleaning everything up really well checking tolerances and reassembling with new gaskets. Once done I will test compression before going any further.
Badapplesrepair is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.