View Single Post
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:50 PM   #1
tim61
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 78 Ducati 900SD Darmah, 74 Yamaha TA125, 71 Honda CL175 , 78 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport, 09 Kaw 250R, 08 KLR650

2-fiddy's in the Pacific Northwest-WMRRA

Hi all,

New to the forum. Thought I would share recent experiences with 250 Ninjas in the Washington Motorcycle Road Racing Association (WMRRA).

We have been having the same issues as most clubs in this economy...numbers are down, racers are dropping out due to cost, not enough new racers, etc. Couple this with an extrordinarily bad year for Novices (one fatal accident and only 2 heats seeing the checkers, the rest ending in red flag accidents).

After the August race, I was visiting with our Race Director, Jeff Weiand, and Referee, Phil Cook, about the general bad state of things. We all agreed we needed an affordable class that generated excitement and allowed Novices to race something other than a 600/750/1000 or a vintage bike. Neither of these are good options, as the moderns are too fast and the vintage bikes require the rider to be an expert mechanic. I think it was Phil that mentioned the obvious choice. "What about 250 Ninja's?".

In 3 weeks we had assembled 6 racers, 2 new gen and 4 old gen. The idea was to run sans bodywork to keep it cheap. I bought an 05 and had it race ready for $1150. I also bought an 09 salvage title bike and had it on the track for $1275. So, we had affordable covered. Next we had to see how popular it would be. Best part is we converted both to racers at the track on the morning of raceday while spectators watched. They were really showing some interest

We entered the little racers in 125GP and Early Lightweight GP. In practice, Tim Weig threw his 05 down in turn 5 and broke his footpeg plate and ruined the front master cylinder. So we were down to 5 bikes. But, response from spectators was pretty positive.

So the flag drops for the Early Lightweight GP race and Phil jumps to a lead with me hot on his tail. His 05 is much quicker on acceleration than my 09, but I have the advantage of having 4 seasons of CB160 racing under my belt, so I sotra have the corner speed thing figured out. We swap the lead back and forth and generally have a lot of fun, then on the last lap I twist it up a little for the win. And I was laughing all the way, it was so much fun! But best of all were the spectators. The fences were lined and you would have thought some sort of championship was on the line, with some rooting for Phil and some for me. It was awesome. And in the pits afterwards it was like being rock stars. EVERYONE loved it. All I kept hearing over and over was "I need to get one of those!".

Hmmmmm....maybe we were onto something!

In 125GP Phil and I repeated the same back and forth race, with Phil taking the win when I was unable to complete a last lap draft pass in time. Again, the spectators loved it.

That was 2 weeks ago, and as of last night we have 18 250 Ninjas in the hands of WMRRA racers...for next season! The response has been amazing, so much so that Jeff has asked Phil and I to draft rules for our own race. So next season WMMRA will have a Ninja Cup class! We are making rules so that there will actually be 2 classes, Ninja Cup, with some sort of contingency from Kawasaki, and a Cheapionship Cup class for those who want to do it cheap and dirty...no fairings, early gen, Canadian ZZR's, 17" wheels on early gens, etc. Both classes will require stock engines, carbs, airboxes, etc. We should have the rules ready and online by the end of November, with sponsorship for both classes. And both classes will run at the same time, which will REALLY give the spectators something to root for!

So keep an eye on www.wmrra.com and get ready for a road trip to the Pacific Northwest for a race or 2. I promise you will be welcomed like family!

Tim O'Mahony
WMRRA Chief Tech Inspector
WMRRA #220
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2fiddygoodwill.jpg (175.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 2fiddyracin.jpg (172.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1014323871__dsc4606.jpg (57.3 KB, 8 views)
tim61 is offline   Reply With Quote