View Single Post
Old September 4th, 2019, 07:01 PM   #1
Zolland
ninjette.org member

Name: Zac

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250R

Thinking carbs are dirty, any input before I start tearing the bike apart?

Hey all!

I just snagged a 2005 250R off a friend for a great deal. I've noticed recently that something is a little weird and I'm thinking the carbs need cleaning. Before I start tearing the bike apart I wanted to post here to see what ya'll think... here are the symptoms:

1) Bike can't idle below around 3k. If I adjust the idle screw even the smallest bit it will dip to around 1k/500. At this point the throttle is SUPER delayed and unresponsive which makes the bike super hard to handle. This forces me to set the idle to 3k.

2) With the bike idling at 3k, it occasionally dips down to 2k and then back up to 3k (usually when I've come to a stop). Thinking this is also what makes it hard to get it idling lower than 3k (as these dips would stall it or get it damn near close to).

3) Revving the throttle has good response in high rpms. When reving from 3k to around 6-8 (giving it a little flick while it's parked), it hangs for about half a second and takes a while to get back down. I haven't noticed what it's like higher than that as I've been riding it around and not focused on the rpms.

So what do you guys think? I'm not the best mechanic. I spent the last year restoring an OLD 1975 Suzuki TS185 which gave me some experience.. Slightly dated 2 stroke experience, but experience none the less!

I would really appreciate some experienced minds to give me some advice. Let me know if you have any questions or want any more info. I could even include a video if the descriptions aren't detailed enough!

Thanks
Zolland is offline   Reply With Quote