View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2019, 05:59 AM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I agree with all above, but when I got my 2005 250, with 17,000 miles on it, it had your symptoms when cold, but after about five miles or so it was fine. That was caused by the valves being out of adjustment. When the engine was cold they didn't quite close, it it would idle at either about 500 rpm or 3,000, but nothing in between.

After adjusting the valves, it was like a different engine, easier to start and warming up quickly. I rode it for a couple years and it started having symptoms like backfiring on downhills and finicky starting. I sent the carbs to Ducatiman this spring, and when I got them back to my door less than a week later, I finally learned how a 250 is supposed to run. I normally do all my own engine work, and have cleaned and jetted carbs many times, but these things are much more complicated and harder to get truly clean than anything I've worked on before. I'm sure I could have gotten them restored to new condition myself, but not having experience with these things, I know it would take several tries.

What I'm saying is for the engine to run the way it should, the carbs have to be very clean and working properly, and the valves have to be adjusted to the right clearances.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote