View Single Post
Old September 24th, 2019, 08:28 AM   #37
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolland View Post

I really botched this one guys. Apparently I need to pretty much take the thing apart all over again because I think I messed up just about everything I touched except for the valves...

To conclude, thank you guys so much for all the help and info. I'm so grateful for all the help I've gotten thus far. If it isn't too much, I just need a little more help getting out of this mess I've caused

Edit: Should I just make a new thread?
maybe we can rename this thread to “Zolland’s trials & tribulations!” or something fitting!

Don’t rush! Do each step correctly before proceeding to next. There’s never enough time to do it right, but there’s always time to do it again!!!

1. When disassembling, use small plastic bags and duct tape to attach nuts & bolts to parts that goes them. This is especially important with upper 2 tank bolts that hold upper fairing. They are special bolts shorter than anywhere else on bike. They MUST go back exactly into upper tank holes or else you’ll risk puncturing tank!

2. Install each bolt loosely for each part until they are all in. This lets you wiggle panels to get holes to line up for each bolt. So completely remove lower fairing. Insert one middle side bolt just 1-2 threads in. Go to opposite middle side and screw in that bolt 1-2 turns. Then do middle front bolt 1-2 turns. After remaining bolts are done 1-2 turns, go back to first bolt and tighten it 1/2-way and then rest. Finally 3rd pass, tighten to spec with torque-wrench.

Each and every part has an optimum position and assembly order. Bottom fairing may be off because tank, then upper fairing is skewed.

Might want to back up and remove everything to bare-frame and engine. Fix valve-cover gaskets and look up torque-specs in manual and apply proper torque precisely before moving on. BTW, assume Wiki is Cliff Notes paraphrasing of manual. A lot of it is outdated or outright wrong. Anything with numbers like gallons of oil, coolant and torque for every single nut & bolt should be looked up in manual.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote