View Single Post
Old July 26th, 2010, 06:45 AM   #68
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
I hope my idle goes down to 1350 RPMs without making any changes.

I wonder if your mods made a difference, Jason? So from one ride to the next the RPMs went from 2000 to 1350 without making any idle adjustments?

My bike is bone stock.
Let me try to clear this up some. I too was wondering about the high idle concern and intentionally avoided completely installing the unit until any possible high idle concerns were tested and addressed. I made temp connections with no switch and started the bike. The bike started easily on the first attempt and idled around 1300 RPM's. As the bike warmed the idle came up to about 1375-1400. I actually re-adjusted my idle up some because my bike seems to like 1500 RPM's for it's idle setting. Idle is remained smooth at 1500 RPM's.

On a side note...I was having some concerns that my bike was running a little rich on the idle circuit prior to installing the BRT TIS. After a short ride around the neighborhood, I did turn my adjustment screws in an additional 1/4 turn. Last night I was out riding and noticed my idle had raised just slightly and I also noticed that when grabbing the clutch to coast to a few stop lights, the bike seemed to come down to around 2000-2500 pretty fast but hung there briefly and then slower than normal returned to idle.

I'm still testing the unit but it has me thinking that the mixture screws may have some sort of effect. After a bit more riding, I think I'm going to pull my plugs to check for a rich or lean situation. My suggestion to anyone having the high idle concern... pull your plugs to verify a clean burn.

austexjg: Being your bike is "bone stock" as you say. We all know the bikes from the factory are lean on the bottom of the powerband including the idle circuit. I would say minimally that you consider shimming your needles to allow the extra fuel in. Idle hang can be a lean condition and it's also my understanding that it is very bad for the engine. kkim here on the forum is our carb/jetting expert. I would also suggest you drop him a PM to pick his brain on this one. Together I'm confident we can resolve this issue.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote