Thread: Tow vehicles
View Single Post
Old September 4th, 2018, 07:03 PM   #6
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

I towed a Uhaul box trailer with 2 bikes behind a Prius once upon a time. It was not an easy haul. Hence my comments. I also did a few more tows with only one bike and it was a good deal easier. I now use a Dodge Grand Caravan. It's still FWD, so similar issues but the longer chassis makes it much easier to balance the load and the extra ponies and braking doesn't hurt either.

If you're towing with a FWD, you're going to want to optimize. Put the heaviest stuff you can in the passenger seat to help keep the front wheels weighted. Toolbox in the foot compartment and a full ice chest in the seat is a good start. Everything else should go as far forward as possible. Find out where your car's gas tank sits. If it's behind the rear axle, consider keeping it below half capacity while towing.

Also, put as little in/on the trailer as you can. Cars are designed to handle normally with the weight inside. Pay attention to load balancing the trailer as well. The usual rule of thumb is a 60/40 balance of weight fore and aft of the trailer axle. For a FWD tow rig, being a little closer to balanced is going to make a big difference in handling. Tongue weight should be low, but not totally negligible. I used to shoot for being able to lift the trailer tongue with one hand.

Oh, and save the speed for the track. Stick to the right lane and follow the "truck" speed limit if one's posted. Your braking/maneuvering will be about on par with theirs.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.