Old February 19th, 2018, 04:51 PM   #22
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Going by the kind of riding you seem interested i would probably stay away from anything 150 or 125. Even the more trails oriented 150's will not have that great of a low end, they are still more mid, top end engines.

Don't get me wrong, i love 125's and would love to own a 150 but they are not ideal for slow and technical

Think you are on the right track with the xtrainer

I thought i was gonna get out on my dirt bike today, they have been calling for mid 40's and sun all week for today. Not so much, 40's maybe, but wasn't banking on the 4 inches of snow we got last night Maybe next weekend
@subxero YES FINALLY. Someone I completely trust and who knows me, my riding, and my budget very well told me to stay away from the 150s and go with the bigger motor because a) it has better low end grunt and b) you won't have to wind it up so much to get the power when you need it.

I'm going to look at a 2015 Freeride 250R on Thursday. I got along very well with that bike at the Hammer Run and I think it would make a great single track partner. Some of the things I've been hearing about the Betas are real scary - notably that they have an issue with the throttle slide sticking and the throttle will suddenly be wide open and the kill switch doesn't work in that case. They are also $8400 out the door and I can't find a used one under $7000. I just don't have the money and I really want to get a couple months under my belt getting used to a new bike before I do any serious rides.

I've stayed away from KTM because their bikes are huge and "ready to race" (aka not mellow, I like mellow) but the Freeride seems to be an exception and was actually super easy to handle and much much more fun and easy than my KLX pig. Plus it's got a 36 inch seat height (everything else is 38) and weighs even less than the X trainer at 202lb - that's what my DRZ 125 weighs!