View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #1
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Another Jetting/Carb Question

Ok as my signature block shows I have 2 Ninjettes that I have picked up recently. Got one for me and one for my daughter.

Both had been sitting a while and would kind of pop but would not run.

I got the carbs cleaned out on the 2001 and it seems to be running well. Now I'm working with my daughter on the 1989 which will be hers. I cleaned the carbs and got it running OK, but in top gear, at about 40 mph and from 6,000-8,000 rpm it feels like it isn't getting enough fuel, it bogs down, then picks back up and again, then bogs back down. But if you just give it full throttle and keep accelerating it does fine.

I read around here a bit and was going to try putting a couple washers under the needles and see what that does. I got the top of the carbs off and it has clip adjustable needles. So I'm guessing someone has been in them before. By the look of the jets it was a cave man with a poorly fitting screwdriver and a pair of pliers. Clips are in the third from the bottom slot.

Anyhow I'm reading up on playing with the jets and I see things like main jet is a 102 or 104, or get a 108 and 112. I looked at the jets and they have 094 stamped on them. Are their different types (or markings) on jets or are my main jets that undersized?

I'm guessing best thing is to get stock size jets and a couple sizes up and start from there.

Edited to add: Just found a conversion chart, looks like the smallest Dynojet is a DJ094, so I'm guessing I have a dynojet kit in the bike. Now what is the chance PO drilled the slides like dynojet recommends?
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote