View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #159
new_rider
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choter View Post
Earlier in this post it was stated that 650r coil over plugs were used since the resistance is very close. I noticed that the factory 250 has these specs

Primary Winding Resistance 2.1 ∼ 2.5 Ω
Secondary Winding Resistance 10 ∼ 16 kΩ

the 650 has these specs

Primary windings should be 1.1 to 1.5 ohms.
Secondary windings should be 10.8 to 16.2 kilo-ohms.

will the primary windings being halve of the original ninja 250 cause any problems, I was looking to swap so I can easier fir R&G crash sliders and remove my old coils.

If so where can I look up coil over plugs and find one thats the same as the factory 250.
I've been running the 650 coil on plug setup using the ex500's ignition controller for the last few weeks without issue. Technically, the lower resistance of the 650's coils would almost double the current draw from the controller. However, since engineers aren't stupid and coil failure via shorting of windings isn't all that uncommon, it's a safe bet that the ignition controller contains some sort of over current protection if not complete short circuit protection. If you're really worried about it, put a 1ohm resistor inline with the coil. It would have to be at least a 50watt resistor, preferably higher to keep from frying it.

To wire it, the best thing to do would be to splice the 650's wiring harness plugs into your bike's harness. I didn't have that option because I didn't have the 650's harness. Instead, I cut down the 500's spade connectors (the ones that go to its coils) and ran them directly to the connector pins on the 650's coils. I held them in place with a rather generous application of electrical tape.
new_rider is offline   Reply With Quote