Thread: Mid-size trucks
View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2018, 08:29 AM   #13
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

i am a Ford and Mack Trucks diesel mechanic, i would shy away from diesel, personally. they (can) get a slight higher fuel mileage, at the expense of higher cost of maintenance, and repairs as well. plus with 2010 and newer you'll be adding DEF fluid to the vehicle. an after treatment system will run you approx 3-4 grand when it goes out. most filters in passenger size vehicles cannot be cleaned and must be replaced about 150,000 miles. so at that point you'd either shell out over 3,000 bucks, or delete the truck, then risk DOT giving you a hefty ticket one day when they see some black smoke from your tail pipe.
stay gasoline. of the 15 techs at my shop, none drive a diesel..
turbo going to run you 2 grand, and it could send debris through the engine when the turbo fails, and the price is going sky high at that point. the cost out weighs the benefit.. by a long shot

i see 10,000 dollar repairs all day long. shoot, mess around and put some DEF in the fuel tank by mistake, and thats going to run you 8-12 grand right there.
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.