Old August 22nd, 2018, 04:36 PM   #14
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gantt View Post
i am a Ford and Mack Trucks diesel mechanic, i would shy away from diesel, personally. they (can) get a slight higher fuel mileage, at the expense of higher cost of maintenance, and repairs as well. plus with 2010 and newer you'll be adding DEF fluid to the vehicle. an after treatment system will run you approx 3-4 grand when it goes out. most filters in passenger size vehicles cannot be cleaned and must be replaced about 150,000 miles. so at that point you'd either shell out over 3,000 bucks, or delete the truck, then risk DOT giving you a hefty ticket one day when they see some black smoke from your tail pipe.
stay gasoline. of the 15 techs at my shop, none drive a diesel..
turbo going to run you 2 grand, and it could send debris through the engine when the turbo fails, and the price is going sky high at that point. the cost out weighs the benefit.. by a long shot

i see 10,000 dollar repairs all day long. shoot, mess around and put some DEF in the fuel tank by mistake, and thats going to run you 8-12 grand right there.
Thank you so very much for your expert advice! I was considering the GMC Canyon with the diesel because of the increased fuel mileage. Thanks to your post I can see that the slightly higher fuel mileage is not worth 4+ grand extra plus the extra cost of maintenance.
What are your thoughts on the new Ford Ranger? Is it worth the wait or should I go with the Canyon V6? Btw I’m hopping the ranger will be available in crew cab with a long bed. I hate the look of the short beds. It looks like it was chopped to make room for the crew cab to keep the same wheel base.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote