View Single Post
Old October 16th, 2018, 11:22 AM   #20
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!! You just jumped queue 10-years at least! Most people start in desktop-support which is pretty much dead-end unless you put in lots of outside training.

Data-centre management what I was doing 20-yrs ago for enterprise outfits. My job was to go in after acquisitions were made and migrate their data-centre in-house. They'd drop me off at data-centre after having laid off all their staff and tell us we had 30-days to move it all with no disruption in services!!! Most times, it's simple hundred or two servers in 5-10 racks, no big deal. One time it was BIG acquisition with about 100+ racks!

Anyway, you'll learn way more valuable skills managing data-centres than doing desktop-support. Awesome work!

Thank you! Yeah, the IT group here is like the do-it-all group. Managing quite a bit. Even developing their own software.

The data center has about, umm, I'd guess maybe 50 racks in it. I'll get a better idea when I actually get my badge and have some freedom to explore. The new setup they are doing is quite nice. The older racks have tons of Cat5+ cabling in them...just a huge amount of copper. The new racks each have their own switch and running 1 or 2 fiber lines out of the switch. Makes it so much cleaner. Looks amazing.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote