View Single Post
Old June 7th, 2022, 12:55 AM   #1
Mauricemonge
ninjette.org member

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): bastardized ninja 250 (think land speed record with a sidecar) soon to swap a 500 engine

Advancing ignition timing (has anyone else done this?)

Hey all, in the quest for an extra mile per hour or two, I have advanced my ignition timing 4.5 degrees for a total of 46.5 degrees full advance, I’m worried it’s a bit much, but I’m going to play with jetting in the morning and see what the plugs look like. I’m running 91 octane in hopes to prevent detonation.

I’ve jetted up pretty big with the pod filter and 2-1 exhaust. I currently have a #40 pilot, 2 shims under the needle, and a 115 main. My plug chop is looking lean at the moment and I know I only have one larger main jet (118) in the kit I bought. It seems to be running good at the moment now that I’ve fixed a petcock vacuum leak, it really picked up power in the 6000-8000 rpm range, though that may have been because of fresh plugs and a vacuum fix. It just looks a bit lean so I’ll see what it looks like with a bigger main.

Anyway, I’m wondering if anyone has filed down their woodruff key on their pre-gen for more timing advance? Did anyone have good results?

I’m planning to drive this bike (and the attached sidecar) to Colorado next week, and I want to get in some miles and maybe advice from anyone who has played with timing.

Maurice
Mauricemonge is offline   Reply With Quote