View Single Post
Old August 29th, 2022, 11:12 PM   #1
arvindb
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Arvind

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Repairing wiring harness modification (ignition)

Recently bought a used Ninja 250 (2012), ran great for about a month. Tried starting it up a couple days ago bike suddenly had no electricals with the key on. Fuses good, battery and connections seemed good, so went ahead and removed the gas tank to try and verify the ignition connections and was presented with this beauty.

It appears the previous owner replaced the ignition and shoddily spliced a custom connector into the wiring harness. I tried reseating one of the more obviously loose spliced connections and sure enough, the dash lit right up. Also, they appear to have melted the connector on both sides when heat shrinking and they're fused together. Might be able to force them apart, but will most certainly need to be replaced after.

So, wanted to consult the forums for some advice on how to fix this mess. I'm comfortable with electric work but a little nervous messing with it as there is not a lot of slack on the wiring harness. Not sure what I need to further disassemble in order to get some more room to work and what connectors to replace with. TIA
arvindb is offline   Reply With Quote