View Single Post
Old September 10th, 2022, 06:33 AM   #36
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic0611 View Post
this thread is super old but I just came upon it while searching for a fix for my problem. I have a 2006 ninja 250. I'm having a very similar problem. All the sudden my engine revs but doesn't seem to go faster or at least my speedometer remains the same. Feels like the clutch is slipping, when I shift up the motor still just revs high and I have no power. I was thinking I may have to replace my clutch but maybe its just a cable adjustment issue. I will look at it again tomorrow but hoping its a easy adjustment fix. I'd rather not have to mess with the clutch if possible. I'm mechanically inclined and have done work on my carbs before so I could get into it if I have to. If I do, do I have to replace the oil?
Could be just a cable adjustment, if the cable is too tight it could be causing your clutch to not completely engage and then it slips.

Clutch work is pretty easy really, Yes you will have to drain the oil, it is a wet clutch so there is oil that that part of the case. (edit) actually sometimes you can just lay the bike on it's side and work on a clutch without draining oil, never tried with a street bike probably not the best idea IDK?). If there is something with the clutch or clutch system it shouldn't be a difficult fix, just need to inspect things carefully once you get in there and see if something stands out before you take things apart and as you take it apart. With any luck your basket is fine, if you need to replace basket stuff or anything behind it you probably need a way to lock the clutch to take the main nut off. There are different ways to do it from tools to simply using a spare small gear to jam the clutch and output gears.

Good luck. Use a 4 stroke wet clutch approved oil when you fill it back up

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote