View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2022, 03:38 PM   #10
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I have extra factory muffler and may have some factory headers. Lemme check boxes.

Also do not get LED bulbs. They may boast huge output lumens, but will end up spraying all over the place due not being designed for halogen reflective headlight housings. All this extra spray into trees and oncoming traffic creates dangerous situation for them and you.

Light intensity on ground will be lowered and not be any better than stock. Combined with lower CRI of LEDs, resultant view will be worse than stock.

Some examples. These are headlights designed for LED bulbs and HID bulbs specifically. They have sharp horizontal cut-off to place all of light on ground and out of other drivers' eyes:

This is what happens when you put LED bulbs into light housings designed for halogen bulbs. This was on dual-headlight bike with factory Sylvania halogen on right and aftermarket LED bulb on left.

Note that LED beam is spread out all over place. Upward glare into oncoming traffic's eyes. It actually doesn't have as much intensity anywhere compared to factory light, which is actually brighter where it's important. And LED has tonne of light low and close-up. This near-field light is glare to YOU, and makes distance viewing more difficult to see because it's dimmer. So what you really want is focused beam below horizontal aimed far away like factory halogen on right.

Over 25-yrs ago, Daniel Stern helped me develop headlight upgrade kit for Porsches. This is result with exact same 55w power-consumption using top-quality Narva halogen bulbs.

Best upgrade for bikes is either HID projector retrofit or headlights specifically designed for LED. I just installed these Motodynamic LED headlights on my CBR600RR. Extremely good vision with beam spread across both lanes. Sharp horizontal cut-off and no near-field close-up brightness to distract from distance viewing (skip to 3:50 for field test)

Link to original page on YouTube.

Next best is top-quality H7 bulbs from Narva, Osram, Philips, Toshiba, Vosla that you can get from here: https://www.danielsternlighting.com/.../products.html . I highly recommend "H7 65-watt, 2100-lumen Ultra High Output Vosla" bulbs. About double output of factory bulbs.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; September 17th, 2022 at 08:39 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.