View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2022, 10:31 AM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Speaking of modern headlights on F-model…
Very cool! Years ago I planned to try it both ways: Modernize the old light on one bike and retrofit a more modern light on the other. I did buy a projector for the F-bike but never got around to a test fit like I did for the J-bike. It’s still in the box somewhere.

I’m not nearly handy enough to do glasswork like that. My lazy plan was to partially hide the flutes with green headlight mesh. I’d cut the opening in the race fairing to cover the corners and reveal only certain parts of the fluted light housing, creating new outline angles and hiding how rectangular it is. The bike was going to be black with green highlights so I would add green flares to the area around the headlight to create a false headlight shape beyond the exposed area of the original. I’d then blend the windscreen with the upper fairing and use green to create a wedge shaped false windscreen outline that comes to a point over the headlight instead of the solid line you get between the headlight and the original windscreen.

I was trying to figure out why I bought the 300 windscreen and thought I might be able to color the outer parts body-color and partially cover the headlight to hide the boxy shape. Since it’s supposed to be an elevated/floating windscreen design, I can probably adapt it with some modern mirrors and then hide my janky mounts underneath the painted parts.

Imagine that Ninja 300 windscreen but painted with a false fairing to look more like this:

Of course, the original windscreen is almost vertical with the flat face of the headlight making the original mirror mounts very awkward to adapt modern mirrors to. Angling the false fairing/windscreen to make a forward-pointing nose would help with that. It would also create a gap just above the headlight which a lot of modern bikes have anyway. The style started as a ram air intake for supersports but even the Ninja 400 has this design… much like the front fender pretending to shield upside-down forks.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote