View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #71
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Those shim sizes are not the sizes I need for your bikes. It may not cover them all. It only comes with three of each shim. You may need more of one size. (start filing)

Also, it takes me about 6-8 hours for a valve job. Start to finish.

I just like to tell you 12 hours to give myself headroom.
You're lucky I don't tell you a week or two. Like most shops would.

Trust me, I'm not trying to rip anyone off. I'm giving you guys a good deal.

Also, I believe the shim kit is out of stock from amazon. Maybe ebay still has them?

If I ordered the four sizes my shim kit is out of, 10 pieces each, it would cost me $440.
From cheap cycle parts.

But then I'd estimate I could complete another 20 or so valve jobs. $2000 income.
(lol that's it for 20 valve jobs? Dang I'm underpaid!)

Starting to see how this works?

As a garage, the shim kit won't work. I need shim kit refills. (lots of four particular sizes)
Otherwise you guys have to wait around a week and pay for shims. Like at a normal garage.
Either way in the long run I'm not charging you guys hardly anything for the work like I could be.
A shop will charge you at least 3 times as much for the work alone I have been told.
...and their work is questionable and done behind closed doors.
You can come and watch me do your valves and I provide hard numbers on paper when I am done. I'll even sport you a gatorade from my fridge and use of my restroom for the 6-8 hours.

PS..
Kevin Phreak got 16 shims from my kit last time for his 636.
$176 worth of shims and I only charged him $100 for the job, and then I broke a bolt on his engine that I pulled off my bike and replaced & cost me $20 to replace to my bike after shipping. lol

So I went -$100 on his valve job. Although, I don't mind because it was my first four cylinder valve job and I appreciated the experience. He had his bike back in 24 hours running much smoother.

I'm going very easy on you guys.

Otherwise you can take them to a shop or do them yourself. I provided you with the video!
(Happily shot myself in the foot there haha)
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote