View Single Post
Old November 12th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #9
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
You don't even need to bother with the white/black wire on a race bike. It forks off the white wire just before the ignition switch, so you're simply creating something like ---<===>--- with that setup. Assuming your race bike doesn't need lights or a horn, the only thing the brown wire is even powering is the ignition fuse (ignitor and kill switch). Wiring Diagram

For a street bike, the ignition switch normally connects the white wire to the brown wire for switched power to accessories and to the gray wire (including the resistor) for the ignition, as pictured in garth's diagram. The white/black wire (again, it's just a branch off the white wire) feeds the white/green wire that powers the turn signal fuse. The ignition switch also bridges the red/blue wire (coming from the taillight fuse) to the red wire (running to the taillight).

In summary, the ignition switch is a 3-pole switch. 1 feeds constant power to the ignitor and switched power circuits. 2 feeds fused taillight power to the taillight. 3 feeds constant power to the flasher circuit.

I'm half tempted to try making some PnP replacement parts for racebikes to easily remove all the unnecessary stuff, without having to learn/know anything about the wiring.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.