NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
I don't think it was worth it
Then I am performing a public service by showing you what it is like to go places you wouldn't dream of taking your bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Looks like fun. The first part, not so much the second part.

I was out there not so long ago, but only grabbed a picture of the sign.
Woah Nellie, have some water! Nope, nothing like that this weekend. I have downloaded the IBR bonus list and did plot out all of the pony Express stops. If I had planned on stopping in Wendover, I would have retraced that route all the way back to Carson trying to "collect" as many of those as I could while keeping to the daylight only rule. Alas, this was impromptu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Hey great video. I lo e Wendover . The video started way out on the salt and ended as you rode up what is called" the boat ramp". That is the area with the sign that says Bonneville salt flats. That is. called the "end of the road". The left hand corner you went through after turning off the video is called" the bend in the road". You can camp there if you don't have a hotel. I will probably sleep there.

The salt you rode on is not the track. They have a large flat steel sleigh. They spend weeks dragging miles and miles of track making it smooth.you rode in what is called the cruchies. I am glad to see it is dry. Was there much water standing?
Ah! Ok, I rode out looking for the black line I keep seeing on Speed Week videos, but never saw it. Then there was a TON of tracks all heading in one direction so figured that was it. Then I saw the cones and just headed back between them. Yeah, it got rather crunchy towards the end.

The only water was right near that boat ramp, beyond that there was nothing on the surface. Some idiots had spun donuts in areas and torn up the surface and you could see it was damp underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
About your bike. You need to take apart the head set and lube the bearings and you also should soak the radiator with water . Like a sprinkler . The salt will eat it in short order. Get some stuff from a boating supply shop called salt X to wash the bike down. Sereously you will find rust in the oddest places.

I don't think you are allowed out there. I thought the BLM would give you a ticket.
There's a sign on the bend that says stay on the road next three miles, which is the length of the road to the end. But nothing at the end stating no driving on the salt. Looks like they are trying to protect the edges where there is some vegetation growing. I could be wrong, but again saw nothing to say keep off salt once you clear the vegetation area.

I took the lower pressure washer and sprayed everything short of the electronics until there was nothing white left. There's a few grains in areas I won't put water too that I was going to air blast those out or use a brush.

I'm about to cross 30k and so need to take it in for the full service. Is luring the bearings something that the mechanics can do during that?

I can't do anything until next weekend since it's too cold at night to wash the bike after work. Would it be okay to sit until then?
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote