View Single Post
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #38
ahenthus
ninjette.org member

Name: Claude

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 1994 HD Sportster, 1975 Yamaha XS650B and many works in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahenthus View Post
Frugal and Live2 are correct. A flash of your headlights gives the opposing driver your nod to either make their turn in front of you or cross your path. Having said that, as a flashee I do not automatically assume that the flasher's action is all I need to pull out. If I do decide to pull in front it is only because my little pea brain has processed enough info for my satisfaction, i.e.; positive eye contact, speed of flasher, etc. It's not a call to make without taking "ALL" possibilities into consideration. If I flash my headlights to someone you can bet if they don't make their move I'll be creeping along at a very low speed when going by them or I'll stop short of them.
Blues, read my whole post. Pay close attention to my last sentence. I would also never trust eye contact alone. It's only with the whole package present that i would proceed. Out of my 50 years of motorcycling I have not had any type of incident since 1977 when I, while not paying proper attention in Honolulu rush hour traffic, did a slow rear end into the car ahead. Nothing like my earlier two more serious incidents. I had to lay it down once due to a 93 year old unlicensed driver pulling out into my path in early 1976 and my forks got clotheslined just under my headlight on I20 in Shreveport (1977). I went over the handlebars and tumbled a good ways but did not get seriously hurt. I believe the car ahead of me had just clipped a light pole and the wire was hanging at just the right height to miss me and grab the bike instead. Except for 1976 and 1977 I've been very fortunate. Before that I guess I was just plain lucky but after that I'm sure it has been my defensive driving skills that have enabled me to remain incident free. Please don't take this as a flame but only as a clarification.
ahenthus is offline   Reply With Quote