Old April 26th, 2016, 02:17 PM   #10
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
Almost two whole seconds pass between when the bike initiates his lane change and when contact occurs.
You can see in the corner of the back-facing camera shot that the driver is looking down towards his dash/stereo/gps/phone just before impact. Hence he didn't react to the half-wit rider.

I was thinking just the other day about how inattentiveness appears to be increasing in the general population in the UK. Lots of people are staring at their gadgets; paying attention to an entirely different world than the one that is happening physically around them. I think this issue is compounded by the fact that so many things are made safe these days and personal responsibility is outsourced to the government. I think this perception of safety combined with a lack of personal responsibility results in people having a lower sense of general-threat and thus they exercise less caution.

My car is comfy and has airbags; It's safe, I'll just send this text OH SH*T I hit a cyclist.
This street has traffic lights; of course I can cross on a green without looking OH SH*T someone jumped a red.
This is a safety knife, I don't have to concentrate while opening this box OH SH*T I just cut myself.
Credit is cheap and my banker tells me the interest rates are projected to stay low OH SH*T the market just imploded and I lost my job... and my house.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.