View Single Post
Old June 18th, 2020, 10:26 AM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
NEVER, EVER use pin-type front-stand without having bike up on rear-stand first. That's to maintain 3 contact-points and stability. Using front pin stand has only one contact point, and rear-tyre is only one contact point for 2-total. Bike will want to rotate on axis between pin contact and rear tyre's contact point on ground until a 3rd contact point is touching, typically handlebar.

Unless you need to remove service triple-T bearings or forks, I typically prefer under-for-tips front stand. More stable without need to put rear on stand 1st.
You're definitely correct - it's critically important to put the bike on a rear stand prior to lifting it on the front triple-tree stand. But I've always felt that the 1-pin front stands are more stable than you let on (1 point vs 2 points), as that 1-pin slides into the triple tree itself, and the bike is then attached to the front stand that has a wide base for support. Once that pin is in, the bike isn't going anywhere, even if you move the handlebars back and forth all the way. For the under the fork front stands, the ones I've seen appear much less solid/stable, and things like the handlebars can't be moved at all at risk of knocking the bike off the stand.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote