Old November 19th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #19
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
At a wild guess...

That could be good for correcting your line mid-corner. I think we saw Marc Marquez do it in Sepang....

As in countersteer back up to run wider, then let the bike come back over again so the turn tightens.

As far as speed and traction... any time you can get the bike more vertical you tip the balance back toward more traction, right? So I'm thinking it gives you a bigger margin, and you can get on the gas harder/sooner.
This ^^^ When you get the bike more vertical you gain more traction so you can get on the gas harder and sooner. Perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
I have a long winded reply. I'm sure the anticipation will drive you crazy but you'll just have to wait!

But Coles Notes:
If I remember my lessons correctly;
  1. Stable throughout!
    Set body position
    Brake & release
    Turn in
    gas

Point being to settle the suspension and minimize inputs that would destabilize the bike.
Which brings me back to my original question assuming you set your body position early and keep it set (the exception of adding a hook turn to tighten up the turn radius, if necessary) so as not to destabilize the bike; is it better to have weight shifted forward for exiting (and allow maximum throttle for the traction available) or weigh back for braking? My arms are long enough for either.

...that was the "Coles Notes"!

Apparently; my "List" skills are similar to my riding skills!
Well, when you set your body position before the turn you can continue to squeeze the tank with your knees in order to keep your weight from shifting forward under braking....this means less load on the front. However, under hard acceleration the front might want to come up so keeping your upper body forward and over the front can prevent it from wheeling too much. So, it's kinda a bit of both. You can keep your butt in the seat in the same place but adjust the weight balance with your upper body staying back or moving forward and down over the tank.

Does that answer the question?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.