View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2010, 12:09 AM   #1
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

installed A&L Motorsports rearset adjusters. The Good & Bad

So I got my A&L Motorsports rearset adjusters yesterday and got a chance to install them today.

The good: All the parts needed were included. Machine work is good. No burrs or distortions in the AL. After install, my inner thighs aren't rubbing at the ridge of the gas tank.

The bad:

First thing I discovered were the tapped threads where your rearset attaches to are not tapped all the way through. They bottom out just at the edge of the hole. This means that the oem bolt you reuse will stop about 1/4" out. Since it's made of AL, you can likely force the bolts through, but it will definitely strip your screw. I busted out my trusty 8mmx1.25 tap and ran it through. This allowed the oem bolts to bolt all the way in without unnecessary drama.

Second thing, which is pretty crappy is that the mounting holes on the gearshift side is off by about 2mm or so. I didn't measure, but that's pretty close. What this means is that you aren't able to bolt the adjuster to the bike unless you don't mind stripping your bike's threads. The bolts would have to go in crooked. I had to take out my dremel with my favorite carbide bit and remove enough material for the bolts to go in straight. At least I got to try out my new HF bench vise! .

So, it's cheaper than buying a pair of aftermarket rearsets, but not plug and play like you would hope. Considering the cost of aluminum and machine time, the mistake in mounting holes, the price of these adjusters is pretty high.

pix of the problems:

hard to see, but I bolted in the top bolt and the bottom one is misaligned.

I circled the hole that I had to modify.

In this pic, you can see how close the bolt is to the enlargement that I made. It's a good fit after the dremeling I did on it. The top bolt is already in too.

CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote