View Single Post
Old June 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Thanks apex, that was already the plan. Just an FYI, I am an electronic technician by trade so I understand how to troubleshoot. I was just wondering if anyone had come across this before and found a simple fix.

As for relays never causing shorts. Yes they can. Remember all it really is, is an electronically actuated manual switch. Not only can the leads short just as easily as the headlight switch but it's also possible for power going to the electromagnet to short to one of the leads causing an overpower. Not saying it's likely to happen but it can. I've seen relays in automotive electronics go bad and cause problems. I don't think it's the relay but if it's not the switch the relay is the only other place to look according to the schematics I've found.

I don't think the wiring could be a problem. It may be a '95 but it only has 6000miles on it and one of the previous owners had practically rebuilt the bike from the ground up. He also did all the mods to the bike. All of the wires I've seen so far in taking the bike apart look practically brand new. However, just to be safe I plan on checking them as well.

Oh, and a voltmeter only checks voltage. You mean a multimeter set to ohms to check for resistance.
Yeah a multimeter, or as we just say around here a DVM. Most people don't know what that is.

My bad about acting like grade school to ya. You mentioned not having the tools, so I kind of just assumed...ya know. Sorry about that.

As far as shorting goes, not saying it couldn't happen, but normally the contacts blow first (from what I have experienced), or the thing just plain doesn't work. Maybe we use some funky relays up here (at lot of stuff here was new back in the mid-90's or older, so who knows!). I was just speaking from my experience with them.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote