Old June 4th, 2018, 01:24 PM   #65
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
imho...

TTD's golden rule trumps your pace/line selection here.

Sure, you were a bit off pace to be on the race line, but that is no excuse for the rider behind you sneaking up the inside. This is a case where a lack of a bit more patience ups risk factor.

Seems you were off the apex a bit too. Allowing a judgement call by the following rider that he could fit. Even with that, the following rider breaks a few of my rules of track day riding;

Last second decisions on motorcycles at high speed are normally bad decisions
It is not a race, "just enough to fit through" has no place at a track day (many orgs have a 6ft bubble rule for their less than race pace groups)
He made the pass after your tip in
Always assume the rider ahead of you just off the apex will tighten their line, especially if off pace

A clean and safe pass is 99.9% of the time judged by the rider being overtaken, not the rider doing the overtaking.

EDIT: iirc... there is plenty of room for you get to up to pace on your r6. That corner were you slow up just after hot pit is crazy fast, I drug knee there at 100+mph. So yea, your call of being off pace when entering the line is spot on. Getting up to pace safely is up to YOU good sir. And now you have experienced why I ride new/reversed tracks in a slower group than my normal. To get comfortable with the line vs trail by fire.
I may have a slightly different opinion here. I've never ridden this track but from the video I would say that waiting until the following right hand turn would be safer and perhaps more appropriate to join the racing line. There is a huge grey area when you say things like "up to pace" because up to pace means different speeds for different riders and bikes. Up to pace can be several mph slower for one rider than another and if someone is already barreling along on the race line when a slower rider (not up to HIS pace) joins in without shoulder checking, this exact situation could arise.

From what I see in the video, because the next turn is a right hand turn, I would have stayed on that outside line until apexing the second turn and merging into the race line, OR shoulder checking to make certain no one was approaching before trying for the apex of the left hander. Glad no one was hurt.....
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote