View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #66
Kiwi rider
ninjette.org member

Name: Al.

Motorcycle(s): '14 CBR300R '07 SV650 (race bike) '04 XR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
This is a great idea, it is also effectively what KTM did with their RC390 cup package. For extra money you could have all the bells and whistles of a top notch race bike, and having ridden both I can attest that it is a night and day difference. Packages like that are huge. I also admit I would find myself going aftermarket for suspension no matter what, but I'm also a very rare type of rider that isn't being directly targeted by their marketing campaign. However, aftermarket doesn't give us frames (which was improved drastically) or usable upside down fork setups which adds a large amount of edge on the performance side in addition to looking cooler on the showroom floor. It doesn't matter what they put in these forks as internals since that will be swapped immediately.

On the note of front end aftermarket, GVEs/Intiminators are a basic step, the top step is cartridge kits. These cartridge kits are massively better, and are actually the best possible setup for our bikes since gas fork swaps aren't available. On the note of the front end swap for the SVs, this is actually a terrible swap as it ruins the geometry of the bike and causes the front end to be far too stiff, it is possible for it to work with a lot of tuning but it will never be as good as the stock forks with cartridge kits in them.

I would buy a bolt on USD fork front end kit immediately if it became available for my R3 or Ninja 300
Thanks for that bit of info. I race an SV650 with standard forks apart from race tech springs and GVE's. Not 100% happy with it so good to know that cartridge kit is way to go.
Will shut up now as this has nothing to with topic