View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #164
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
hey joe don't let the scottoiler keep you from inspecting your bike. its great to not have to put the bike on a stand and lube the chain but regular inspection and maintenance is a requirement and the bike really demands a lot more attention than a standard vehicle like a commuter car. before every ride you should inspect the entire bikes' critical components. things happen, and they can happen slowly on a motorcycle. inspecting before each ride could mean the difference between getting stuck somewhere waiting on a chain link or some bolt, or getting stuck in a ditch somewhere with a broken leg because the bike failed on the road and caused a crash which threw you down the mountain.... just something to think about.

always inspect your bike at every chance you get.
Don't worry. I'm not one to buy into the whole "set it and forget it" mentality! I'll admit I don't check it everyday... but if I'm actually going out to ride and it's not just to go the 5 minutes to work or to the store I look everything over! Otherwise So far I've done like every other day! But then again, it's still in the new process so right now I look at it every chance I get! But I'll try to keep it in good habit!

Thanks for the advice Alex! I'm always looking for tips and just general advice. Even if you're telling me I've been an utter pillock and need to do it completely different! You guys (well most of you) know more than me! I'm over that stage in my life where I know everything, so if I get advice from someone that knows more, I at least try it out!

Like I never really thought about foot positioning until that thread popped up today. They don't cover that in MSF and none of the people I know personally that ride have ever mentioned keeping the balls of your feet on the rest and moving them only when you actually have to shift and break! I did that my whole (very wet) ride today, and the bike just felt better!