Thread: So umm yeah...
View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #165
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

So I had a realization today as I was driving (yes driving ) to work tonight. I feel safer on a bike than I do in a car.

Maybe it comes from being in car my whole life, so it's all very comfortable. I get in, turn it on, blast the music and just kind of mindlessly drive to wherever it is I'm going. I don't think about it, it's just kind of a muscle memory kind of thing...

But on the bike, everything is a danger. So I'm constantly alert, checking everything. Looking at every car, making sure the lady on the phone that's late for her kids because she couldn't stop shopping 5 minutes earlier, sees me. Looking for escape routes. Constantly scanning the road to see which lane of travel I need to be in, and making sure there isn't anything of hazard on the road.

So because of all that, I actually feel safer. If that lady that's on the phone does pull out in front of me, it's okay, because I expected her to do it. I've already braked (if there is no one behind me) or swerved around her before she even realized she almost killed me.

I've always used all of those things on people that told me "motorcycles are so dangerous" but I never actually knew them to be fact for myself. It was all just heresy.

Don't take this as me being cocky or comfortable either. I'm not either of those things, by a long shot. If I ever become "comfortable" on my bike, I will sell it the next day. That's how you die.