Old May 8th, 2020, 09:40 AM   #38
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamieb View Post
I know your pain.
I once had a Cb250rs and a Dr350 both stolen within 6 weeks of each other. They had both been fully restored and we're stolen for no other purpose than ragging round a field before being set on fire. I didn't have theft cover as it cost more than what I paid for the bikes. I also had to pay recovery and storage fees for both bikes as the police insist on getting expensive recovery companies to drag the remains from where they were found. I also had to fight the DVLA as to why I wouldn't pay tax on the bikes but could not provide a disposal certificate.

I did not have a garage at the time as the property market in England is slim pickings. My bikes were locked with 2x chains, 2 ground anchors and disc locks on both as well as being trapped between my van and a wall. Inside a gated complex with Cctv and a security guard. Odd there was a different guard working at the time and the cameras were down...

Unfortunately I think thieves will always steal what they want regardless of how secure it is. They always have a way.

Shame we're not allowed to remove body parts as punishment. Over here if little scruffs get caught doing serious damage to property they get nothing more than a warning. We're not even allowed to cement glass shards on top of walls anymore because if a scumbag hurts himself climbing over it the property owner is liable.

Rant over
Makes me so mad!!!

Sounds like an obvious inside job, as you seem to be implying. Also, a mandatory Jeffery Epstein comment would go here. I hear bike theft specifically has gotten SO BAD over there! If I lived around London I honestly don't think I'd feel safe depending on a MC... maybe if I had a garage and never had to park it outside, which pretty much would rule out riding for transportation to work. But, as you stated, a secure garage is a luxury that's hard to get for many.

We used to be able to hang horse thieves in America, but sadly we've gone to the opposite extreme of that here too (hanging was extreme, but the economic damage and threat to livelihood was more proportional). Sad to hear you in the UK have shifted property-protection laws to favor the criminals just as we have. I guess when criminals are making the laws.....
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote