View Single Post
Old October 21st, 2014, 08:05 PM   #7
isuoboe
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda CB125S, 2006 Ninja 250

Thanks for the input. Mostly I was curious how many people out there do all these maintenance items as listed in the schedule. Unless there are inferior parts on our bikes, many of these items ought to be done with similar frequency on most vehicles, and we know that they aren't!! Of course we need an extra safety margin with 2 wheel vehicles. I am intending to use the schedule as a good excuse for spending a lot of time, and a little money, getting well acquainted with many parts of my bike!

In my original post, I did not mean to imply that bikes sitting around for years without being ridden were OK. (As someone pointed out they aren't.) Clearly, we should keep maintenance schedules in mind when bringing a bike back into service, and not assume everything is OK just because it seems to be running OK.

Hmm, I just realized how similar this maintenance is to changing a timing belt. I have changed several automobile timing belts (on schedule or a little late), and the old one always looks good enough that I feel I must be careful not to handle the new one with greasy hands or I won't be able to tell them apart. Better to replace a belt that looks new, than replace an engine whose belt got old!!

Ride Safe and B SEEN

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.