View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #15
bungie4
IBA # 44620

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 94 Ninja EX250F, 2004 Yamaha FJR 1300

I do a lot of LD riding on the FJR, last year alone I racked up over 50Km.

You've got some pretty good tips here but I'll add.

1: Keep your ass clean and dry. No joke! Buy a small container of baby wipes. Or if your pressed for space throw about 10 of them in a ziploc bag. You'll know when its time to use them. This is especially true of the Ninja's seat which isn't very wide and you carry a lot of weight in a very small area.

2: The biggest secret about putting on miles is 'No seams'. If your underwear, pants, over pants or whatever, finds you sitting on seams, your going to be VERY unhappy. I love the LDComfort stuff but it's pricy. Bicycle shorts are relatively cheap and available everywhere. The worst thing to do is ride in cotton/tighty whiteys and jeans. I usually ride in LDComforts, a pair of light track pants (no seams!) and riding/over pants. I'm all day good with this setup.

3: Stay hydrated. Don't stop and gulp water, that will just make you whiz. Better to wear a camel back and just sip away at it.

4: Get comfortable standing on the pegs for a short distance at Hwy speeds.

5: ANY little irritant you notice on a short trip will be magnified 1000x on a long trip. Boots to tight? Some gear flapping in the wind? Pressure points from your helmet? All these things will find you miserable at the end of the day.

6: Food. While grabbing a burger for lunch sounds appealing don't do it! You'll find greasy foods will make you 'crash' mid-afternoon. Better to eat a light lunch and get the calories at dinner time.

6: Pace. Some days you can ride all day, 500 - 800 miles in a day, no problem, other days, you'll think your sick or something because after a few days you'll feel done at 100 miles. Theirs no shame in taking a 'down' day.

Otherwise, it's a case of 'Sit there, Twist that' and above all else, ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE.

-Steve
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote