Thread: A Racer's Brain
View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2017, 08:50 AM   #7
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
I've spent that last 30 years thinking about why I was fast in a race car, why so many other driver were slow, and why the slower drivers made very little or no progress regardless how how much track time or coaching they got.
I would describe this phenomena as a "modern world" problem. We live at a time where there exist some professions, hobbies and pass-times that require very special ability skill-sets that can't be taught, you either have them from birth or you don't.

I've flown jet aircraft since 1990, at this point I've logged more than 20,000 hours of flight time. Flying is all I've done for my entire adult lifetime.

And in this life spent in the cockpits of various aircraft I've encountered the same thing you describe: I've found myself flying with "that guy" who is obviously very intelligent, highly motivated, ambitious, he studies hard and knows the aircraft and all the rules and regulations, BUT (and it's a huge "but") he flies like he just can't feel the aircraft or assess the aircraft's energy state or judge its momentum or successfully plan how to use that energy/momentum. This type doesn't (or can't) even taxi the aircraft smoothly on the ground.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.