View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2017, 10:57 AM   #19
SpeedCraft
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Warren

Motorcycle(s): None currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
Been trying out racewalking, a bit tricky to remember to do but it'll be second nature soon. It seems interesting. I'm combining it with my dirt bike training and am seeing some effect in how I handle the back end kicking out on exits but it hasn't quite kicked in yet

As a visualization technique it seems amazing since it's constantly accessible
I'm glad to hear you're giving racewalking a try! And it will 'kick in'; open mind - open throttle

Since I wrote the article for drivers, I just wanted to share a couple of tweaks for riders.
Instead of 'turning the wheel' I would slightly drop, and push forward, my inside shoulder to simulate counter steering and leaning into the turn.

I would try to keep my right hand empty, and in a loose fist. Then, to simulate braking, I would tense my first two fingers (pressing the finger tips into the meat of my palm with the appropriate pressure for the braking I was simulating). Throttle simulation is, of course, a totw.

I would bring all of those pieces together for a corner; so tension on the fingers as I approach the turn (along with flicks of the wrist, as needed, for downshifts), reducing brake pressure as I counter-steer to tip in (trail braking), and then rolling my wrist to accelerate out of the turn (complete with simulated slips, drifts, or spin-ups).

The last adjustment is in the power-on/exit, phase of the turn. A car rolls side to side on it's suspension, so when accelerating out of a turn, the centripetal force transfers load into the outside rear tire (your outside leg when racewalking). Not so on a bike, so when you 'get on the gas' while racewalk simulating a motorcycle, your inside (not outside) hip/thigh/knee (suspension) would absorb the load and transfer it to your rear tire (inside edge/back half of your foot).
These movements can all be exaggerated or flamboyant (even accompanied by sound effects) if you are alone, or they can all be VERY subtle if you are in public. The training effect is the same.

Hey, no one at the grocer store last knight knew that I was riding the shopping kart around; grabbing that metal basket thingy with my fingers to slow down, tipping it into the frozen food isle, and twisting the handle to drift the basket out of the turn and accelerated down the the Lean Cuisine section.

Anyway, hopefully that makes sense; if not let me know and I'll do my best to clarify.
SpeedCraft is offline   Reply With Quote