Thread: DIY- Oil Change
View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #1
kkim

DIY- Oil Change

Oil and oil filter change... about as controversial as politics and religion.

Wanna start a big argument?? Just ask a bunch of bike riders what the best oil there is and a heated "discussion" will ensue.

No matter what your views, though, all agree that oil is the lifeblood of a motorcycle engine and even more so in a small, high revving engine as is designed for our bikes.

With that said, my oil change DIY will include references to biases that I have acquired throughout the years, so deal with it if you have a problem. The end result is the same, though... that the oil and filter gets changed on a regular basis.

There have been many oil change DIYs done, but none by a ninjette member, so I felt it was necessary to do one as guide for this site. The best guide that I have found for oil changes for our bikes is right in your owner's manual. If you've never read your owners manual, spend the time to read it cover to cover... it will explain a lot that you may not know about your bike.

With that, I'll be using the oil change procedure in the manual as a guide for this DIY (references from the owner's handbook are in bolded print), with inputs and pictures from me when I feel is required.

So.....

keep track of the work you do on your bikes... there is a maintenance log in the back of the owner's manual that I use record oil changes/mileage. At 1913 miles, this is the 5th oil change the bike has seen. I've done oil/filter changes at 53, 297,528,1008 and 1913 miles. Clean oil is crucial to a long lasting engine, especially during it's early life. Use the proper viscosity as outlined in your manual. Most people will use 10w-40.

I raise my bike up on the rear stand for a couple of reasons, but oil changes can be done with the bike on its side stand.

Ninja_Oil_Change_01.jpg

Warm up the engine thoroughly and stop it.
Previously, I had done oil changes after running the bike down the street and back or after a ride. With a water temperature gauge I added a few months back, knowing when the bike is warmed is a snap.

Here are some of the tools you will need to change your oil and filter.

Some oil filter part numbers that will work in the previous gen and new gen bikes. They use the same oil filter.

Amsoil: SMF 101 (No longer available. Replaced by WIX 24941.)
CarQuest: CFI-89941
Emgo: 10-37500 (includes O-rings) 10-20300 (doesn't have O-rings)
Fram: CH6012
Hastings: LF571
Honda: 15410-426-010 or 15410-300-024
Kawasaki: 16099-003
K&N: KN-401
NAPA: PS4941 (formerly 4941)
Perf-Form: OF-0047 (formerly J-501)
Purolator: ML16812
STP: SMO-12 (Once readily available, now appears to have been discontinued.)
Triumph: 1210031
Vesrah: SF-4004
WIX: 24941
Yamaha: 36Y-13441-00

Ninja_Oil_Change_02.jpg

Place an oil pan beneath the engine

Remove the oil drain plug 17MM socket/wrench
be careful when you remove the plug that you remove the aluminum crush washer also. the washer will sometimes stick to the engine side. also, be careful as the oil is hot, now, so unscrew the plug while pushing in at the same time. Once the plug is free of the threads, by pushing in while you turn the plug to remove, you prevent the oil from shooting out and you dropping the plug in to the pan. Instead, when the plug is free of the engine case threads, quickly pull the plug out of the way and let the oil pour into the drain pan. Have a rag handy just in case.

Ninja_Oil_Change_03.jpg

Let the oil drain completely with the motorcycle perpendicular to the ground

Ninja_Oil_Change_04.jpg

Remove the oil filter mounting bolt and drop out the oil filter

Ninja_Oil_Change_05.jpg

Replace the oil filter element with a new one

This is where it gets a bit tricky the first time you do this. I advise having your owner's manual handy for the exact sequence the parts need to be assembled when doing a filter change. They have a very nice drawing in there.

The dropped out oil filter element and associated parts

Ninja_Oil_Change_06.jpg Ninja_Oil_Change_07.jpg

Replace the O-rings with new ones.

you can see the larger O ring around the outside portion of the plate. There is a smaller o ring which requires removal of that spring and washer.

the smaller O ring is at the base of the center tube... remove the spring, washer and base plate.

new O rings should be included with the filter... mine has them with the Wix filters I use.

Ninja_Oil_Change_08.jpg Ninja_Oil_Change_09.jpg

to replace the O ring, use something to lift the o ring out of it's groove and replace with a new O ring.

Ninja_Oil_Change_10.jpg Ninja_Oil_Change_11.jpg

With the O rings changed, we are now ready to reinstall the filter... in the next post.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DIY- Oil Change - ninjette.org.pdf (8.69 MB, 245 views)

Last futzed with by kkim; December 15th, 2008 at 10:09 PM.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote